Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Philip Roth: the personal postmodernist?

Phillip Roth: Jewish-American, profound sex theist, and outspoken political observer. His views on such issues as homosexuality, abortion and commitment are enough to disturb even the most unattached reader. 

I'm currently reading The Professor of Desire, the second in the Kepesh series. The first book in the series (there are 3 books in it) is called The Breast. My friend Nick set out to find the shortest Philip Roth book to read for our AP English III assignment, and so he ended up with The Breast. He called me up and asked me what it was about, so naturally being the 21st century teenager that I am I was already on the computer and googled it for him. 

On wikipedia (although I pretend to detest it, its really quite helpful in some situations) it said that in the book, David Kepesh turns into a 155 lb. breast. Yes, literally a breast, like a boob like the female body part. I was originally thinking what on earth? But after reading some of Roth's work its quite obvious that this man was either A. a straight up an alcoholic or strung out on cocaine or B. He has a serious psychological disorder. 

Which led me to think that well, Jackson Pollock was a raving alcoholic, yet I love him because he was an amazing ab ex painter, not a writer. And dont get me wrong, I would be happy to make a living as a writer as well, but the point still stands that many of our world's greatest minds were either alcoholics, drug addicts, or mentally unstable. 

Then the classic question does the brilliance create the madness or does the madness allow them to fully express their brilliance?

No comments:

Post a Comment